Steem is a blockchain based social media platform where the users can earn rewards paid in specific tokens. Created as an open source and publicly accessible blockchain database to support community building and social interaction with cryptocurrency rewards. It permits that independent developers and entrepeneurs build different apps and services by directly acessing the Steem blockchain.
The Steem platform is built upon Graphene, the same technology that powers Bitshares, another blockchain network created by Dan Larimer, also a co-founder of Steem and Steemit with Ned Scott. Steem is capable of handling a larger userbase than Reddit. This technology also works as an actractive factor for spread and adoption.
In August 2016 Ned Scott declared to CoinDesk that entrepreneurs and developers have already created 50 different tools over the Steem blockchain network, such as Catch a Whale (which tracks where whales have recently voted) and SteemMarket (which lets users buy, sell and rent goods with Steem). He said: "The people showing up to use this are going directly to the blockchain. We don't have the authority to tell them not to. In fact, we implore it. What we set out to do is build an ecosystem and that’s exactly what’s happening".
List of Steem Apps and Tools
In February 2017, there were 118 differents Steem apps listed on the site SteemTools, below are some of the initiatives:
- Anonsteem: https://anon.steem.network
A service that allows the purchase of Steem accounts anonymously using Bitcoin or Litecoin. Created by Chris (@someguy123), who believes that everyone has a right to privacy, in August 2016
- Appics: http://www.appics.com
@appics : https://steemit.com/@appics
A mobile social media application that runs on top of the Steem Blockchain, created with full support of Steemit, Inc and first Smart Media Token (SMT) app. Created by Tony Winchester (@sirwinchester), Uma (@mrs.steemit), Sandro Ieva (@sandroieva) and Christin Topp and announced in October 16th, 2017.
- Busy.org : https://busy.org
Descentralized social network using Steem blockchain founded by @ekitcho and @fabien in July, 2016 and open in beta release since February, 2017.
- ChainBB : https://beta.chainbb.com
A forum-style website that works on the Steem blockchain. Created by @jesta and in open in beta release since May, 2017.
- Conductor : https://github.com/Netherdrake/conductor
A Steem Witness toolkit. Created and launched by @ furion in May, 2017.
- DTube: https://dtube.video
A decentralized video platform using Steem and IPFS. Created by @heimindanger and launched in August 11th, 2017.
- eSteem : http://esteem.ws
First open source Steem mobile application. Created by @good-karma originally as Steemit Mobile and with a 1.0 version launched in August, 2016.
- Mangosteem Chat: http://alpha.mangosteem.chat
A public web chat application powered entirely by the Steem blockchain - no private servers and/or databases involved! Simply login via Steem Connect and begin chatting on the blockchain. Created by @mynameisbrian and announced in August 31st, 2017
- Peerhub: https://www.peerhub.com
Online marketplace for buyers and sellers using Steem and SBD launched by @steemrollin in September 2016.
- Steem Whales: https://steemwhales.com
A website that tracks and collects information about the Steem Network and shows it ordered as rankings and trendings. Created by @ heimindanger and launched in June 20th, 2016.
- SteemDB: https://steemdb.com
Block explorer and database for the STEEM blockchain created by @jesta and launched in August 2016.
- Steemd: https://www.steemd.com
Steem block explorer created by @roadscape and launched in April 2016.
- SteemTools: http://steemtools.com
Steem tools, apps and services web directory created by @roelandp and launched in July 21st, 2016.
- SteepShot : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droid.steepshot
A platform on Steem blockchain that rewards people for sharing their lifestyle and visual experience. Created by @ pmartynov and launched in March 2017.
- Streemian : https://streemian.com
A service for Steem blockchain provides task automation, post scheduling, ping notifications, RSS feed, etc. created by @chainsquad and launched in November 2016.
- SteemData : https://steemdata.com/
A mongodb database with processed steem blockchain data, created by @furion.
- Utopian : https://utopian.io
Rewards Open Source Contributors using Steem Blockchain. Created by Diego Pucci (@elear) and launched in September 26th, 2017.
- See more apps and services in Steem Ecosystem:A-L, Steem Ecosystem:M-R, Steem Ecosystem:S-Steemis, Steem Ecosystem:Steemit-Steen and Steem Ecosystem:Steeo-Z
- Include another Steem tool or service link and short description here (create a wiki page for it if you want).
- Steemit Bridges Blockchain and Social Media, But How Does It Work? Written by Jacob Donnelly (@jaycodon), published in CoinDesk in August 13th, 2016
- Steem.io : https://steem.io
- Steem White Paper : https://steem.io/SteemWhitePaper.pdf
- Steem Tools : http://steemtools.com
- @ontofractal : Steem development ecosystem now has more than 25 active developers and 30 projects, July 8th, 2016
- @wmougayar : The Community vs. The Ecosystem. July 31st, 2016
- @aschatria : Steemit favorite tools apps and websites, January 2017
- @edje : Useful STEEMIT TOOLS and LINKS, March 3rd, 2017
- @jesta : Vessel : Steem power delegation tool., May 24th, 2017
- @furion : Conductor: A Simple Steem Witness Toolkit, May 26th, 2017
- @drpuffnstuff : From a minnow to the minnows. 5 steemit related sites everyone should know about!, June 9th, 2017
- @chainsquad : Streemian.com to open its doors and offer a 20% discount, November 29th, 2016
- @luzcypher : How To Use SteemTools To Track Your Progress On Steemit And Gain Real Followers June 27th 2017
- @decentralizd : Have you heard about these cool Steem powered projects yet? Yes, there are others! Steemit.com is just 1 of many front-ends for the Steem blockchain! July 1st, 2017
- @rawbinhutt : Steemit - Problems With Different Platforms Showing The Same Content (Opinion Piece) August 4th, 2017
- @good-karma : Why you should build on top of Steem? September 27th, 2017
- Steem Ecosystem:A-L
- Steem Ecosystem:M-R
- Steem Ecosystem:S-Steemis
- Steem Ecosystem:Steemit-Steen
- Steem Ecosystem:Steeo-Z
- Steem Exchanges
- Startup Management : Public Blockchains: The Community vs. The Ecosystem Written by Willian Mougayar (@wmougayar), author of The Business Blockchain and Steem advisor, published in 7/31/2016
- CoinReport : A Conversation with Ned Scott, CEO of Steemit Written by Katherine Fletcher, published in 5/5/2016
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.