Bot is a software application or software agent that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the internet or the blockchain. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering (web crawler), in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. On the internet, more than half of all web traffic is made up of bots.
In Steemit the most common use of bots is for upvoting posts but there are other popular bots running on the platform, like @cheetah which automatically finds similar content helping report presumable plagiarism. Bots exists in Steem Ecosystem since after the official launch in July 4th, 2016, at that time the steemian @marsresident published a list of 7 existent bots he found in the platform.
A "bot" may differ slightly from a "script." Typically, a bot will watch for events to act upon while scripts just run once to perform a specific operation. For example, a bot could watch for new posts and vote on them while a script might vote on a specific post and quit. This distinction becomes important because a bot could run for long periods of time, looking for certain criteria.
Bots can be simple or complex. A simple bot will take action only on a very limited set of conditions. For example, "if there's a new post, upvote it." More conditions create complexity. For example, "if there's a new post, upvote it unless one has already voted on it."
List of Bots
- DrPhil Bot : https:[email protected]/drphil-rb-voting-bot
The DrPhil Bot was created by @inertia and launch in march, 23rd, 2017. It is a re-implementation of the Winfrey Bot.
- DrDoogie Bot : https:[email protected]/drdoogie-rb-vote-trail-script
The DrDoogie Bot was created by @inertia and launched on May, 5th, 2017. Dr. Doogie is a voting bot that will trail the votes of other accounts in order to then mirror their voting pattern.
- Steemvoter: https://steemvoter.com
@steemvoter : https:[email protected]
An automatic curation bot with an easy to use web interface.
- See more on List of Bots
Steemian @personz, creator of Steem FOSSbot Voter, remembered that Bots are always controversial. "Why can't we only have people on the network, you know, like a social network?! Society is made of people, not robots." He thinks new users are especially put off by them, particularly those of a non-technical background. There's something suspicious about robots going around, making posts and votes, that you cannot talk to and that are not ... human. He discussed this issue in posts published on Steemit in February and March 2017.
In January 2017, Thomas Te Aroha Kohi (@senseiteekay) accused Steemvoter and Streemian, along with voting bots scripts, to give users the option to manipulate the value of posts. He thinks that it goes against the very wording of Steem's whitepaper. "How are the users supposed to retain a "fair assessment of the subjective value of each contribution", if each contribution is being manipulated.", he asked. Thomas defined this problem as a Sybil Attack.
- Steemit : http://www.steemit.com
- Steem Tools : http://steemtools.com
- @marsresident : Bots and the Steemit Ecosystem Julho 2016
- @wang : Farewell, So Much Hate August 2016
- @senseiteekay : Steemit - Value is Subjective January 2017
- @personz : All singing, all dancing ~ BOTS! ~ Act 1 February 2017
- @personz : Are bots bad for Steemit? - BOTS! Act 2 March 2017
- @boxmining : My Adventure to Steemit Botting (Part 1) March 2017
- @merej99 : SteemVoter and the organic curator, March 26th, 2017
- @samstonehill : Please do not upvote this if you are human! May 9th, 2017
- @inertia : More Max Payouts = Less Bot Impact May 9th, 2017
- Wikipedia : Internet Bot, Software Agent Retrieved in 4/12/2016
- Rigo Technology Blog : Bots, Blockchain & Artificial Intelligence Written by Bip Khanal in 2/4/2017
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.