A tag on Steemit is a term assigned to a post. A tag helps describe a post and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. Contributors can select up to 5 relevant tags for each post. The first post tag determines the main category a post is under and can't be changed after the post is published. Choosing the most relevant tags for a post helps it to be found by users and so potentially contributes to more upvotes.
Tag Spam: When is using for a post irrelevant tags, especially popular tags.
Spamming in Tags: When is posting low value content to tags with high frequency.
The free and open use of tags by website users was first introduced by the link sharing platform del.icio.us in 2003, followed by Flickr and YouTube. The format success at that time, as a new way to organize the information, inspired the information architect Thomas Vander Wal to create the term Folksonomy. It is a system in which users apply public tags to online items, typically to aid them in re-finding those items. This can give rise to a classification system based on those tags and their frequencies, in contrast to a taxonomic classification specified by the owners of the content when it is published.
The Folksonomy was one of the features that defined the Web 2.0 websites, that emphasize user-generated content, usability (ease of use, even by non-experts), and interoperability (this means that a website can work well with other products, systems, and devices) for end users. Examples of Web 2.0 websites include social networking sites and social media sites, blogs, wikis, video sharing sites, mashup applications, etc.
- Folksonomy Wikipedia, retrieved in February 12nd, 2018
- Web 2.0 Wikipedia, retrieved in February 12nd, 2018
- Steemit : Steemit Tag List Retrieved in February 7, 2018
- Mysteemit.xyz : Top Tag Curators Retrieved in February 7, 2018
- @steemcleaners : Tag Spam & High Frequency Posting Guide October 3, 2016
- @t3ran13 : No "Hot", No "Trending", It Is Alternative Point Of View To STEEM TOPs (rating.mysteemit.xyz) October 20, 2017
- @dragosroua : Steem.Supply Update: Top 20 Most Tags By Payout December 20, 2017
- Mashable : What's a hashtag? A digital device that both brings us together and divides us Written by Kerry Flynn, published in 2/3/2018
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with STEEM, see how in @steemcenterwiki.