When you first create your account you start at a reputation of 25 and your reputation will increase or decrease based on the upvotes or downvotes you receive. It is about 1.3 times harder to get to the next level than it was to get to the previous level. Basically it is 30% harder to get to a Reputation Score of 50 from a Reputation Score of 49 than it was from a Reputation Score of 49 from a Reputation Score of 48.
The site Steem.cool created by @blueorgy defines itself as a precision live reputation viewer using the Steemit formula and more. On Steem Whales (SteemWhales.com) you can see a steemians ranking by reputation.
Digging a little deeper
The reputation system is a piece of data that serves as an indication the "trust-worthiness" of any given member within the network, the system does this through a plugin running on the network that looks at a number of metrics.
Raw reputation on the blockchain is actually stored as a record of the total amount of rshares that have been received by any given account. What that essentially means is that it records the amount of times an account has been [upvoted] or [downvoted] on any of their posts or comments and how much Steem power each of those votes had behind them (or to be more explicit the percentage of voting power of the total Steem power of each account which voted.)
The voter's reputation also plays a part in the calculation of reputation. The reputation of the recipient cannot be affected by a downvote from an account with a lesser reputation. However, upvotes from an account with a lesser reputation will still add to the recipient's reputation. An account with a negative reputation cannot effect the reputation of any other account in any way. Neither an upvote nor downvote from this account will affect another user.
Posts talking about reputation
An excellent explanation of the actual code behind the reputation score:
A post about some practical facts concerning reputation:
An excellent explanation on calculating reputation level (which is the number displayed on steemit.com and on esteem as well as on busy.org) from raw reputation can be found here:
An interesting glimpse into early iterations of the reputation system can be found here:
Nate Brune (@picokernel) discussing the reputation system:
Where to find reputation
You can also find your raw reputation on steemd.com by browsing to steemd.com/@yourusername
Raw reputation calculation in pure ruby ...
raw = 99324188663068 neg = raw < 0 level = Math.log10(raw.to_i.abs) level = [level - 9, 0].max level = (neg ? -1 : 1) * level level = (level * 9) + 25
Calculations thanks to @inertia.
- Complete Overview of Reputation Score, How it’s Calculated, and How to Increase it – Reputation Score Table Included Written by Sevin Wilson (@sevinwilson) on Steemit in May 25th, 2017
- Steemit : https://steemit.com
- Steem.cool : http://steem.cool
- Steem Whales Ranking by Reputation : http://steemwhales.com/?p=1&s=reputation
- @dantheman : Brief Update on Reputation Score August 2, 2016
- @blueorgy : (Steem.Cool) Precise Live Reputation Viewer - How close are you to leveling up? - Steemit REP Formula + More August 11, 2016
- @stellabelle : How I Achieved The #1 Reputation Ranking On Steemit And How You Can Improve Yours August 14, 2016
- @asksteem : What Determines SteemIt Reputation? August 15, 2016
- @digitalnotvir : How reputation scores are calculated - the details explained with simple math August 24, 2016
- @kevinwong : The Art of Maintaining Reputation: Plan Your Battles and Don't Milk It! September 14, 2016
- @shenanigator : UPDATED - Steemit FAQ Part 3 - "Reputation" February 10, 2017
- @picokernel : The situation with reputation March 1, 2017
- @nepd : From 25 to 50: My First 10 Days at Steemit April 5, 2017
- @alphacore : Steemit Top 200 Reputation List June 19, 2017
- @sndbox : What is a Steemit Reputation Score? (An Illustrated Guide) October 17, 2017
- @moeknows : Some Interesting Facts About Reputation on Steemit February 23, 2018
- @reseller : How to Increase Your Reputation Score on Steemit! March 12, 2018
- @ura-soul : New Feature: Who Has the Highest Reputation? The TOP 1000 Steem Users By Reputation! | Steem Ocean May 27, 2018
- @mirrors : Change the Reputation algorithm or else get rid of it - It is ridiculous as it is June 5, 2018
- @slobberchops : No more Bid-Bots for me, I’m Reputation (55), Target Achieved! June 6, 2018
- Wikipedia : Reputation System Retrieved in 4/5/2017
- Fast Company : Say Goodbye To The Information Age: It’s All About Reputation Now Written by Gloria Origgi, published in 4/27/2018
- Oasis : A Survey of Trust and Reputation Systems for Online Service Provision Written by Audun Josang, Roslan Ismail and Colin Boyd, published in 2007
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.