Steemit is self-described as a blockchain based social network where the users can earn rewards. The Blockchain is the computer based distributed and public ledger technology which has Bitcoin as the most known application. Steemit is also viewed as a blogging platform with social media features. The registered users, that called themselves Steemians, can make posts which visitors can vote and comment on. Votes grant rewards to posts in the form of Steem, Steem Power and Steem Backed Dollars (SBD).
Created by Dan Larimer, founder of Bitshares, and Ned Scott, a former financial analyst, Steemit started in a restricted alpha version on March 24th, 2016, when the first block of Steem blockchain was produced. In May 3rd Steemit was announced to the public, then made its first payouts on July 4th, 2016 and became fully functional.
It grew in popularity since, gaining critical mass, having an article written on Coindesk (see the media coverage in the page In the news and references bellow, and with many online celebrities such as Jackson Palmer (Dogecoin Creator), The Corbett Report, and The Dollar Vigilante using it.
On January 10th, 2017, Steemit had more than 125k registered users with 4,4k being active in the last 24 hours.
In June 16th, the mark of 200.000 registered users was reached when @daniel.chiru became a steemian.
- Steemit Alpha, a look back in history. Written by @minion in August 2016
- Daily Steem Report. Written by @elyaque in January 10th, 2017
- The 200.000th user just signed up right now here on Steemit :) Written by @elyaque in June 16th, 2017
- Steemit : https://steemit.com
- Steem.io : https://steem.io
- @steemitblog : https://steemit.com/@steemitblog
- Twitter : https://twitter.com/steemit (17.050 followers in 6/17/2017)
- YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCszdL-p-oxFW9xQyXT9mkWw/ (699 subscribers and 108,537 views in 6/17/2017)
- Steemit Help : https://www.steemithelp.net Retrieved in January 9, 2017
- @joseph : The History of Steem/Steemit Launch in the Words of @dan Larimer from the early Launch Days. August 2016
- @thecryptofiend : The Missing FAQ - A Beginners Guide To Using Steemit. September 2016
- @stephenkendal : STEEMIT: Number of Steemit Accounts created on a Daily basis. April 2nd, 2017
- @sykochica : Answering Common Questions: What's the Difference between Steemit and the Steem Blockchain? June 3rd 2017
- @steemitblog : Performance and Scalability Updates October 25th, 2017
- @steemitblog : Steemit.com Updates: Design and Security October 26th, 2017
- @steemitblog : Steemit Roadmap 2018: Community Input Requested November 16th, 2017
- Dan Larimer
- In the News
- Increase your Steem Net Worth
- Ned Scott
- Steem Ecosystem
- Steemit, Inc
- STEEM Tokens
- Wikipedia : Steemit Retrieved in 6/25/2017
- Weusecoins : What is Steem? Retrieved in 6/25/2017
- Wired : The social network doling out millions in ephemeral money Written by Andrew McMillen (@andrewmcmillen), published in 10/4/2017
- In 1 Minute YouTube Channel : Steemit explained In 1 Minute (00:01) Video tutorial by Walvis (@walvis), published in 3/1/2017
- Craig Grant : Dan Larimer talks about STEEM blockchain and Steemit Edition of the video interview with Dan Larimer hosted by Alex Sterk. Edited (only parts about Steemit) by Craig Grant (@craig-grant) and published in 5/18/2017
- George Donnelly YouTube Channel : Everything you Need to Get Started Fast with Steemit, Social Media that Pays Video tutorial by George Donnelly (@georgedonnelly), published in 8/23/2016
- CoinDesk : Steemit Bridges Blockchain and Social Media, But How Does It Work? Written by Jacob Donnelly (@jaycodon), published in 8/13/2016
- Investopedia : Steemit: The Disruptive Blockchain-Based Media Community Written by Adam Hayes, published in 7/26/2016
In other languages
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian) : Steemit (id)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese, Traditional) : Steemit (繁中)
- 简体中文 (Chinese, Simplified) : Steemit (简中)
- Español (Spanish) : Steemit (es)
- Galego (Galician) : Steemit Gal
- 日本語 (Japanese): Steemit (jp)
- Português (Portuguese) : Steemit (pt)
- Français : Steemit (FR)
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.