Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency that was created in 2009. It was the first application to run in a computer based distributed and public ledger technology called Blockchain. Invented by Satoshi Nakamoto, an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, the Bitcoin White Paper published in October 31st, 2008 proposed: “A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution”.
According to the Bitcoin Wiki FAQ, bitcoin is "a distributed peer-to-peer digital currency that can be transferred instantly and securely between any two people in the world. It's like electronic cash that you can use to pay friends or merchants."
The Bitcoin.org defines: "Bitcoin is a consensus network that enables a new payment system and a completely digital money. It is the first decentralized peer-to-peer payment network that is powered by its users with no central authority or middlemen. From a user perspective, Bitcoin is pretty much like cash for the Internet. Bitcoin can also be seen as the most prominent triple entry bookkeeping system in existence."
- Wikipedia - Bitcoin : Retrieved in August 7th, 2017
- Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System Written by Satoshi Nakamoto in October 31st, 2008
- Bitcoin Wiki FAQ : Retrieved in August 7th, 2017
- Bitcoin.org FAQ : Retrieved in February 6th, 2018
- Bitcoin.org : https://bitcoin.org
- Coinmarketcap - BTC : https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/
- @luistorras : The quest of Bitcoin to became Money December 26, 2017
- @keiserreport : Cypherpunks: The Past, Present and Future of Bitcoin January 4, 2018
- @crushthestreet : Bitcoin “Screws” Retirement Planning of Baby Boomers January 7, 2018
- @hilarski : Bitcoin Says It Is Time to Get a Job! January 16, 2018
- @albertogm : Futures: Money Manipulating Bitcoin February 5, 2018
- @kylesword : Bitcoin was never about money, it has always been about trust... March 3, 2018
- @sfkls : And then Bitcoin came to change the history April 14, 2018
- @jerrybanfield : 25 Reasons Steem Will Replace Bitcoin as #1 Cryptocurrency by 2021! April 17, 2018
- CCN : Opinion: The Bubble is Not Bitcoin Written by Pedro Febrero in 5/20/2018
- CNet : Someone wrote a kids' book to explain bitcoin and blockchain Written by Mark Serrels in 4/29/2018
- The Verge : The one true Bitcoin Written by Adrianne Jeffries in 4/12/2018
- BitDegree : Blockchain Explained: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding How Blockchain Works Written by Ray King in 3/30/2018
- Bloomberg : Bitcoin's Anarchy Is a Feature, Not a Bug Written by Elaine Ou in 3/14/2018
- The Telegraph : Bitcoin’s value is driven by human emotion, not code Written by Michele Chang-McGrath in 2/13/2018
- Crypto Gource YouTube Channel : History of Bitcoin 2009-2018 (Git Visualization) Graphical video visualisation of the Bitcoin Github repository from 2009 to 2018 published in 1/20/2018
- The Guardian : Bitcoin is a bubble, but the technology behind it could transform the world Written byWill Hutton in 12/24/2017.
- Bitcoin.com : Bitcoin Is Becoming a Popular Investment for Middle-Class Americans Written by Jamie Redman in 9/30/2017
- Bitsonline : Google ‘Accepts’ Bitcoin With Payments API Update Written by Evan Faggart in 9/19/2017
- Virginia Commonwealth University : VCU professor discusses ‘The Politics of Bitcoin: Software as Right-Wing Extremism’ Interwiew with professor David Golumbia written by Brian McNeill in 10/11/2016.
- Blockchain.com : Support Team Tips: Bitcoin Transactions and Chargebacks Written by Alyson in 6/16/2016 (Updated in 5/25/2017).
- Tech Crunch : Enter The Blockchain: How Bitcoin Can Turn The Cloud Inside Out Written by Jon Evans in 3/22/2014.
- The New York Times : Why Bitcoin Matters Written by Marc Andressen in 1/21/2014.
- Quartz : By reading this article, you’re mining bitcoins Written by Ritchie S. King, Sam Williams and David Yanofsky in 12/17/2013.
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with STEEM, see how in @steemcenterwiki.