Blockchain is a powerful new technology with an artistic community that values inclusion; integrity; transparency in deal making; respect of rights; privacy; security; and fair exchange of value, and you’ve got yourself a new ecosystem for motion pictures, fine arts, video games, and other creative pursuits. This logic was endorsed by Dan Tapscott and Alex Tapscott, authors of the book "Blockchain Revolution", in an article for Harvard Business Review.
Issues of provenance, copyright and authentication may soon become a thing of the past, if blockchain revolutionary technology is adopted as quickly by the art world as it has been by the financial sector. Predicted Julia Michalska in The Art Newspaper.
Amy Whitaker, an assistant professor of visual arts management at NYU Steinhardt, told to Artsy website that blockchain, as a digital ledger made up of blocks of data, is a “distributed registry of authenticity,” with the ability to easily establish ownership, track authenticity and trade shares would mark a significant upgrade from the current art market system, in which copyright clearances are often still handled by fax. Most importantly, such a platform would help “align price and value for the artists,” Whitaker said, enabling them to participate in the economic value they help create.
These visions influenced artists to early adopt blockchain technology, using Steemit social network site that runs over Steem blockchain, aside specifically blockchain for art market initiatives like Ascribe, Maecenas, Look Lateral and Verisart.
Art in Steem Blockchain and Steemit
Officials launched in July 4th, 2016, as a mix of social network and blockchain, Steem and Steemit has been used by many artists to begin publish and share their artworks in the platform. The easy of use of a social network site with the benefits of blockchain authentication, data security and transparency plus the STEEM Tokens and wallet integration make Steem Ecosystem attractive to many artists.
In a post published in June 6th, 2017, the steemian @voronoi proposed: "90% of Art is Process. Value has traditionally been assigned solely to the final product. But a real work of art is about the story and the process. Steemit gives value to the narrative hiding behind the canvas."
The Art Tag in Steemit shows the huge artistic community that contributes everyday with their posts. Several art challenges are posted every week by different users, with the aim of stimulating the participation of the artistic community. Most contests offer the possibility to gain STEEM, generally based on the own selection criteria from the art contest host.
The most active ones are:
- ARTchallenge, hosted by artquest-trail
- ARTstyleart hosted by Aksinya
- ColorChallenge by Kalemandra
- Watecolorchallenge by Kalemandra
- SteemitPhotoChallenge by Jamtaylor
- Collaborativeartjourney by Everlove
Any artist with original artwork is welcome to participate, being the only rule to post own content.
Stellabelle, an active social media writer and top reputation steemian, who created the Steem Gnome and Steemicide Hotline projects, in November 29, 2017, announced a new project called Slothicorn. Part of the Open Source and Creative Commons movements, Slothicorn focuses on the emerging art known as cryptoart. Stellabelle explained: “This includes, but not limited to: cryptogames, art containing crypto paper wallets, art containing cryptographic puzzles, art containing cryptocurrency logos and themes, art that visualizes decentralization, blockchain tech, crypto vs. fiat, a cartoon of Jamie Dimon’s head exploding, you get the idea. Slothicorn may look cute, but its claws are symbolic of the memory of fraud that the bankers and predatory lenders committed during the recession of 2008."
- Blockchain Could Help Artists Profit More from Their Creative Works Written by Dan Tapscott and Alex Tapscott, published in Harvard Business Review in March 22nd, 2017
- Blockchain: how the revolutionary technology behind Bitcoin could change the art market Written by Julia Michalska, published in The Art Newspaper in September 29th, 2016
- Could Blockchain Put Money Back in Artists’ Hands? Written by Anna Louie Sussman, published in Artsy in March 16th, 2017
- Steemit + Artists : A New Stage for Craft Written by @voronoi in Steemit in June 6th, 2017
- Steemarket is online! Buy/Sell your artwork for Steem! Written by Paolo Beneforti (@paolobeneforti) in Steemit in July 8th, 2017
- ntroducing A New Steem Project Slothicorn: Half Sloth, Half Unicorn, All Magic Written by Stellabelle on Steemit in November 29, 2017
- Could Slothicorn Become The Ultimate Funding Solution For Creative Commons Crypto Artists? Written by Stellabelle on Hackernoon in December 17, 2017
- Steem.io : https://steem.io Retrieved in June 8, 2018.
- Steemit : https://www.steemit.com Retrieved in June 8, 2018.
- Steemit #Art : https://steemit.com/trending/art Retrieved in June 8, 2018.
- Steemarket : http://www.steemarket.com A showcase where you can find art to buy for Steem (too). Retrieved in June 8, 2018.
- Elegance : https://elegance.blue A decentralized Art community platform on Steem. Retrieved in June 8, 2018.
- @slothicorn : https://steemit.com/@slothicorn Rewarding art with crypto. Profile created in November 2017, retrieved in June 13, 2018
- @arteiro : https://steemit.com/@arteiro A global community dedicated to the world of art. Profile created in January 2018, retrieved in June 13, 2018
- @creativecrypto : https://steemit.com/@creativecrypto An online magazine dedicated to all things creative on the blockchain. Profile created in April 2018, retrieved in June 13, 2018
- @elegance : https://steemit.com/@elegance Express your artistic skills and get rewarded. Profile created in April 2018, retrieved in June 13, 2018
- @artmagazine : https://steemit.com/@artmagazine About great art and amazing artists... Reviews and critique. Profile created in January 2018, retrieved in June 13, 2018
- @yadamaniart : (ENG/JPN) I sell my drawings on Peerhub/Peerhubで私のドローイングを販売します February 2017.
- @fayehalliday : An introduction... With love, from Faye Halliday / Artist and travel junkie March 2017.
- @marty-art : Hello Steemit! First post from artist in Belgium June 2017.
- @kalemandra : My paintings are for sale on PeerHub! Of course, I accept SBD as well!) July 3, 2017.
- @sharonnicholas : Featured "Artist of the Month" Ginger Thomas July 2017.
- @awillbrown : Hello Steemit, I'm A. Will Brown, a curator working at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) Cleveland. August 7, 2017.
- @ryanseslow : 150 Ideas to Earn Income as an Artist & Graphic Designer August 31, 2017.
- @sndbox : Recruiting New Steemian's at The Artist’s Co-op in NYC! September 19, 2017.
- @paolobeneforti : My drawings on Steemit. A database and some considerations October 2, 2017.
- @steemitjp : What a great Idea in Korea - Artshop for Steemians October 5, 2017.
- @everlove : ArtAtSteemfest - Here is the Exhibition! See your work in print here! November 4, 2017
- @slothicorn : Slothicorn Philosophy: Preview to the Off-White Paper December 7, 2017
- @reddragonfly : Announcing Our First Steemit Based Art Support Project and Collaboration! February 13, 2018
- @ashleykalila : Given Myself A New BlockChain Job : Creative Commons Crypto Artist Recruiter! February 21, 2018
- @jnmarteau : Discover @InYourSteem proposal! Free Art Resources Invitation to support community causes and social ideas with #cryptoart #creative-commons #ccommonsart #slothicorn. February 25, 2018
- @ccommons.art : CCommons.ART & GLOBAL SCHOOL are joining forces :) March 1, 2018
- @shortcut : New Blockchain based Art Collaboration Website March 6, 2018
- @sndbox : Exploring & Discovering Art on Steemit (Guest Curator @paolobeneforti) March 9, 2018
- @creativecrypto : A Conversation on Art and Cryptocurrency Today April 5, 2018
- @artmagazine : Top 100: the most talented Steemians April 25, 2018
- @abrockman : How to Make a Living as a "Digital" Artist | AJ Brockman May 23, 2018
- @elegance : Introducing Elegance - A decentralized Art community platform on Steem June 8, 2018
- See more in Art:Links
- Maecenas : https://www.maecenas.co The art investment platform. Retrieved in 6/11/2017
- Verisart : https://www.verisart.com A new way to certify and verify artworks and collectables in real time. Retrieved in 6/11/2017
- Look Lateral : http://www.looklateral.io With a mission to enable global and open access to the art market. Retrieved in 1/3/2018
- Owlstand : https://www.owlstand.gallery Tokenized online ecosystem for art community. Retrieved in 7/6/2018
- Noow : https://noow.art Art database and registry on blokchain. Retrieved in 5/25/2019
- Editional : https://editional.com Create, collect, and redeem unique digital art & collectibles using blockchain. Retrieved in 6/9/2019
- BTC Wires : Swisscom TV To Distribute Tokenized Art Pieces Written by Rushali Shome in 5/25/2019
- The Outline : What happens when the art world and crypto collide Written by Jess Klein in 6/24/2018
- Coincentral : From Basquiat to Blockchain: How the Art World is Evolving with Blockchain Infographic developed Nowsourcing, retrieved in 4/30/2018
- Christie’s : Art+Tech Summit: Exploring Blockchain - Is the Art World Ready For Consensus? Event planned to happen in July 17, 2018, retrieved in 5/21/2018
- Fathom Magazine : Blockchain: The new economy for artists Written by Jason Bailey (@artnome) in 3/6/2018
- Cointelegraph : Art and Blockchain: Revolution in Art Collecting Written by Sandra Breslau in 1/30/2018
- Artnome : The Blockchain Art Market Is Here Written by Jason Bailey (@artnome) in 12/27/2017
- International Business Times : Why Artists And Art Collectors Love Blockchain Technology Written by Leigh Cuen in 8/29/2017
- FAD Magazine : Artists Re:Thinking The Blockchain Written by Mark Westall in 8/17/2017
- Coinjournal : New Marketplace Uses Blockchain to Shake up Art Investing Written by Diana Ngo in 5/4/2017
- Finance and Society Journal : Contemporary art, capitalization and the blockchain: On the autonomy and automation of art’s value Written by Laura Lotti in 2/2/2016
- LewRockwell.com : Art is Dangerous to Authorities Written by Jon Rappoport in 11/22/2013
- See more in Art:External links
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.