Steemit Chat is a chat website specifically for steemit users where you can communicate with other steemians. You can also get help, and list links to your Steemit posts. Steemit Chat can be accessed via your dropdown menu on Steemit (top right). Note: don't use your Steemit password to access Steemit Chat.
In June 2017, while STEEM Tokens were valuating quickly attracting a flood of new steemians, the service went down for a couple of days. At that time they were processing 45 Gigabytes of messages per day for about 12k users. When they migrated to the server it was around 500 Megabytes a day for around 4k users. One of the Steemit Chat founders, @riverhead , declared: "While we've tripled in size since then I suspect the real growth is in the active users versus those that have made accounts and never came back".
Open source solution
Lauched by @cass in July, 27th of 2016 with the help of @riverhead, was initially annouced as an open source alternative to a Slack channel compromised after the cyber attack. Steemit Chat was deployed on servers owned by Steemit, Inc using the free open source software Rocket.chat.
Since the beggining many Steemit Chat channels were created, joining the steemians by languages, country origins, similar interests and subjects, etc.
Since Steemit Chat members are recomended to use the same Steemit username, people can find and send direct messages to them. A feature that Steemit site itself doesn't offer maybe because the transparency and permanent commitment of all content recorded in Steem blockchain.
In June 20th and 21th, 2017, some users reported issues in not being able to connect. Steemians @noemilunastorta posted about the problem, @gogogadget published the screen capture of a error message about Bad Gateway and @dowithlove wondered if it was an effect of Hard Fork 19 implementation. Soon later, in June 22th, @riverhead posted that the server has been straining under the influx of new users and gave up. After describing the procedures updates, he said: "I am working with the service provider to get it back online enough for me to migrate it to a more powerful server that can better handle the load and scale for future load". In June 23rd @firepower announced that the service was back online, first in a new server adress untill the DNS updates.
- Where's Steemit.Chat??? Written by @riverhead on Steemit in June 22th, 2017.
- Steemit chat, what's the problem? Writtten by @noemilunastorta on Steemit in June 20th, 2017.
- Steemit.Chat unavailable? Fork 19 the reason? Written by So With Love (@dowithlove) on Steemit in June 20th, 2017.
- Steemit.Chat is Back Online! (23 June, 2017 Update) Written by Firepower (@firepower) on Steemit in June 33rd, 2017.
- Steemit.chat : http://steemit.chat
- Steemit.chat #help : https://steemit.chat/channel/help
- Steemit.chat #postpromotion : https://steemit.chat/channel/postpromotion
- Steemit.chat #wiki : https://steemit.chat/channel/wiki
- @cass : (Steemit.chat) FOSS Alternative to SLACK deployed with RocketChat, July 27th, 2016
- @firepower : Dummies Guide to Using Steemit.Chat Effectively Everyday! July 2016
- @bacchist : Verification for Steemit RocketChat Accounts, July 2016
- @winstonwolfe : Life On Steemit.chat (Cartoon), July 2016
- @khanhsang : (Steemit.chat) Chat Channels - Updated List of Chat Channels. July 28th, 2016
- @samstonehill : BEWARE the steemit.chat UPVOTE SCAM!!! May 31st, 2017
- @edje : Post Promotions: Do's and Don'ts June 17th, 2017
- @videogeek : Steemit Chat Mobile App - InHouseApp September 23rd, 2017
- @firepower : Steemit.Chat—A Quick Update On Our Popular Communication Platform! September 26th, 2017
- @firepower : Recommend Weekly Challenge/Contest Ideas for Steemit.Chat Users and WIN SBD! October 1st, 2017
- @meno : Possible new scammer on Steemit Chat please be careful October 10th, 2017
- @jacobtothe : Steemit.chat Imposter Scam Alert October 16th, 2017
- @firepower : Steemit.Chat Update—We're 40,000 Active Users Now! December 30th, 2017
- @sykochica : I have 500 Steem to GIVE Away in Steemit.Chat! Starts 30 Minutes after Posting this!! December 30th, 2017
- Rocket.Chat : Rocket.Chat and Tokenly Announce New Partnership Written by unsigned, published in 9/22/2017
- Basic Attention Token Blog : Moving to Rocket.Chat Written by unsigned, published in 7/11/2017
- Wired : Open Sourcers Race to Build Better Versions of Slack Written by Klint Finley, published in 3/16/2016
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with steem, see how in @steemcenterwiki.