Dogecoin is a cryptocurrency created by Jackson Palmer and Billy Markus on 8 December 2013.
It was initially created based on a joke tweet. The creators thought it was "ridiculous" and a "funny inside joke for the altcoin community" which would "fade out within a few days."
It has however stood the test of time and is still a used cryptocurrency today.
The Dogecoin logo is based on the Doge internet meme, which uses an image of a Japanese dog called a shiba Inu combined with humorous quotations written in 'broken english' txt. I.e. "wow much coin" "very currency" "much riches"
- Dogecoin.com : http://dogecoin.com Retrieved in January 9th, 2018
- Coinmarketcap (DOGE) : https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dogecoin/ Retrieved in January 9th, 2018
- @ummjackson : I put a dog on a coin and the rest is history - hey Steemit! August 14, 2016
- @octave : How Dogecoin Will Save the World April 8, 2017
- @loggiaonfire : Wow! How much endorsment! John McAfee Selects Dogecoin as Coin of the Week on Twitter April 8, 2017
- @blockchaincat : Happy chinese new year of the dog... dogecoin!?! February 16, 2018
- Coindesk : Dogecoin Market Cap Hits $1 Billion, to Its Creator's Dismay Written by Wolfie Zhao, published in 1/4/2018
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with STEEM, see how in @steemcenterwiki.