Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency that was created in 2009. It was the first application to run in a computer based distributed and public ledger technology called Blockchain. Invented by Satoshi Nakamoto, an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, the Bitcoin White Paper published in October 31st, 2008 proposed: “A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution”.
According to the Bitcoin Wiki FAQ, bitcoin is "a distributed peer-to-peer digital currency that can be transferred instantly and securely between any two people in the world. It's like electronic cash that you can use to pay friends or merchants."
- Wikipedia - Bitcoin : Retrieved in August 7th, 2017
- Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System Written by Satoshi Nakamoto in October 31st, 2008
- Bitcoin Wiki FAQ : Retrieved in August 7th, 2017
- Bitcoin.org : https://bitcoin.org
- Coinmarketcap - BTC : https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/
- @luistorras : The quest of Bitcoin to became Money December 26, 2017
- @crushthestreet : Bitcoin “Screws” Retirement Planning of Baby Boomers January 7, 2018
- @hilarski : Bitcoin Says It Is Time to Get a Job! January 16, 2018
- Bitcoin.com : Bitcoin Is Becoming a Popular Investment for Middle-Class Americans Written by Jamie Redman in 9/30/2017
- Bitsonline : Google ‘Accepts’ Bitcoin With Payments API Update Written by Evan Faggart in 9/19/2017
- Virginia Commonwealth University : VCU professor discusses ‘The Politics of Bitcoin: Software as Right-Wing Extremism’ Interwiew with professor David Golumbia written by Brian McNeill in 10/11/2016.
- Blockchain.com : Support Team Tips: Bitcoin Transactions and Chargebacks Written by Alyson in 6/16/2016 (Updated in 5/25/2017).
- Tech Crunch : Enter The Blockchain: How Bitcoin Can Turn The Cloud Inside Out Written by Jon Evans in 3/22/2014.
- The New York Times : Why Bitcoin Matters Written by Marc Andressen in 1/21/2014.
- Quartz : By reading this article, you’re mining bitcoins Written by Ritchie S. King, Sam Williams and David Yanofsky in 12/17/2013.
In other languages
| Help keep this wiki page updated. Register, click in edit, add or modify the text and save. |
If you're already a steemian you can be rewarded with STEEM, see how in @steemcenterwiki.